Cycle from San Sebastian to Cap de Creus in 11 days.
Approximately 70 km and 1,150 meters per day.
Suitable for the 'Active' Rider.
Experience “Wild Espana”. A journey through the Pyrenees Mountains in northern Spain. From the wildness of the Atlantic to the blue warm waters of the Mediterranean. A journey with new colours at every turn. Cycle high mountain passes one day, lush green valleys the next. Quintessential mountain-top villages rising out of nowhere on the road ahead. Lose yourself as you pedal mile upon mile of quiet, smooth roads meandering alongside steep river gorges, decked with colourful flora. Enjoy warm people, wholesome food and cold beer. Each stopover different from the last. Glittering San Sebastián with its world-renowned Michelin-starred restaurants and tapas bars. Buzzing Pamplona - a meeting point for walkers enjoying the Camino de Santiago. The cosmopolitan city of Jaca. The ancient medieval city of Girona. A mecca for discerning cyclists. The unforgettable landscape of the finish - the spectacular Cap de Creus. Here you can celebrate your achievement with an authentic Spanish meal and a cold beer.
What is included in the tour
- Transfer to start from from Bilbao Airport
- Transfer at finish to Barcelona Airport
- 8 nights bed and breakfast in good hotels
- Van support with snacks
- Spanish speaking support with local knowledge
- GPX files of the route
- Daily briefings
- Route profile sheets
- Suggested coffee and lunch stops
- Baggage transfer
- Mechanical assistance and repairs
- Emergency pickup
- Final group meal
What is NOT included in the tour
- Coffee breaks, lunch and evening meals (except the final meal in Girona which is included). Options and recommendations for stops will be communicated at each morning's briefing and noted on the daily route sheet
- Optional trips / entry fees for any excursions you arrange independently
- Insurance - you need to organise your own bike and travel insurance as required
- Gels, high energy bars, energy powder and shakes - bring your own as per what works best for you and your tummy!
- Bike hire (we recommend you bring your own) or hire from Girona Cycle Centre.
- The Basque Country - with the glittering resort of San Sebastián and lush, rolling hills. We cycle through traditional small and thriving towns, making the entire region colorful, fun, welcoming. But don’t expect ‘flat’! This is challenging cycling.
- Pamplona, the capital of Navarre province. Known for the Running of the Bulls when bulls are led through the city streets by daredevil runners. A major stop along the “Camino de Santiago” and one of our key stopovers on the Spain Coast to Coast!
- Climbing and descending stunning cols such as the Puerto de Serrablo.
- Jaca - known as the "pearl of the Pyrenees" is a cosmopolitan European city. Then it’s higher still into more mountains - peaking at 4,200 ft the highest point on the tour.
- The panoramic views amidst the mountains as we cycle through the hilltop mountain village of Ainsa and the great rock bastion of La Peña Montañesa.
- Fabulous cycling along the Ara and Cinca rivers, which flow down from the Pyrenees.
- A stunning finish at mainland Spain’s most easterly point - the spectacular Cap de Creus!
We start at the unique coastal town of San Sebastian in the Basque Country and finish at the most easterly point - Cap de Crues in Catalonia. The route traverses the southerly and central regions of the Pyrenees and is designed to appeal to cyclists capable of riding 70+ miles and 5,500+ feet of climbing per day. The date of the first tour is 1st to 9th October 2020. This filled up very quickly! We are now taking bookings for 2021! A deposit of £250 will secure your place. We recommend booking early for this popular tour to avoid disappointment.
Day 1 - Arrival Day (no cycling). Meet in our hotel in San Sebastian for briefing and bike fitting / prep. We provide transfers from Bilbao Airport (1 hr 15 mins)
Day 2 - Leitza to Pamplona 64 km 1,008 Metres
Day 3 - Pamplona to Sanguesa 57 KM 743 Metres
Day 4 - Sanguesa to Jaca 80 KM 1,006 Metres
Day 5 - Jaca to Ainsa 90 KM 1,371 Metres
Day 6 - Ainsa to El Pont de Suet 77 KM 1,981 Metres
Day 7 - El Pont de Suet to Sort 66 KM 1,432 Metres
Day 8 - Sort to La Seu d'Urgel 49 KM 1,310 Metres
Day 9 - La Seu d'Urgel to Sercotel 59 KM 1,493 Metres
Day 10 - Sercotel to Olot 69 KM 731 Metres
Day 11 - Olot to Girona 53 KM 579 Metres
Day 12 - Girona to Cap de Crus to Girona 86 KM 1,067 Metres. Finish meal included in price!
Day 13 - Departure Day (no cycling). We will arrange convenient transfer from our hotel in Girona to Barcelona Airport for your return flight (2 hr 15 mins)
Total over 11 days: 755 KM 12,728 Metres
Average daily: 69 KM 1,157 Metres