ABOUT MIZEN TO MALIN (MIZMAL)
Mizen to Malin (MizMal) with Wild Atlantic Cycling is an end to end cycle tour of Ireland. Think of it as the Irish equivalent of Britain’s Land’s End to John O’Groats, but with rugged coastline, Irish music, unique landscapes and lively pubs. Mizen to Malin to really is something special.
Wild Atlantic Cycling is owned and operated by Paul Kennedy, an avid cyclist with a nose for adventure and detailed knowledge of the West of Ireland. A small team of hand picked associates are also on hand. The route takes in much of Ireland’s famous Wild Atlantic Way and is geared towards intermediate and experienced road cyclists. More information about the company is available here. Mizen to Malin was featured in the Guardian Bike Blog in July 2017
We transport you to West Cork from Cork Airport. Flying to Cork Airport is the most convenient point of entry. We can also arrange transfers from Dublin Ferry Port and Belfast (Premier Inn, Titanic Qtr). We spend a night in the wonderful village of Schull. We begin cycling the short distance from Schull to Mizen Head the next morning. The route takes you along the Mizen Penninsula to Bantry Bay and through the Cork and Kerry mountains. Then the Killarney via the Black Valley and the spectacular Gap of Dunloe. Via Tralee and across the Shannon Estuary on the ferry. We visit the Cliffs of Moher and cycle through the unique limestone plateau of the Burren. On into County Galway, where we ride through the vast open bogs, loughs and mountains of the Connemara National Park with a visit to Clifden on the 12 day tour. Here we enjoy some stunning scenery including the Killary Harbour - one of three glacial fjords in Ireland. We spend a night in Galway City with its fun vibe and enticing old pubs and Irish traditional music. We continue to the pretty town of Donegal. Then we tackle the Inishowen Peninsula with its remote moorlands and vast sea loughs, and on to Malin Head for the finish - the most northerly point of Ireland. From Malin Head, we provide a convenient transfer back Belfast (International Airport or Premier Inn).
You will sleep and eat breakfast in local, good quality hotels or guest houses in shared or single rooms. There is a supplement for a single room and the number of singles is limited and subject to availability. Experienced crew will support the trip with help as required. All belongings will be taken ahead to your next stopover and there will be mechanical assistance if required.
WHAT'S ON OFFER WITH 'MIZMAL' (MIZEN TO MALIN)?
Prices vary for the seven and 12 day tours, as well as time of year and start at £970. Have a look at the Dates & Pricing page for further information. We believe we represent great value with no compromise on service or support! The points below explain what is provided:
- Transport from Belfast's Premier Inn, Titanic Qtr, Dublin Ferry Port or Cork Airport to the start point for you and your bike. Cork is included in the price, however an extra charge is required for pickups in Belfast (£30) and Dublin (£20).
- Transport to Derry Airport, Derry Premier Inn (Crescent Link) or Belfast's Premier Inn (Titanic Qtr) from the finish point for you and your bike
- Accommodation in good quality hotels
- Shannon Estuary ferry fare
- Luggage transfer - we move your bags and bits from one location to the next
- Breakfast - Irish breakfasts are renowned for keeping you peddling all day
- Brew stop in the morning and in the afternoon on longer days. Tea, coffee, soft drinks, fruit, cakes, bars, etc. all included in the price!
- Lunch - al fresco style - your choice of sandwiches / rolls will be served along with coffee, tea, drinks and snacks. If the weather is inclement we will eat in a local pub or restaurant - typically soup, sandwiches, tea and coffee. Our previous customers have loved the outdoor lunches and it differentiates us from many other tour providers
- Vehicle support - our support vehicle will be a phone call away and if called will be at your location as soon as possible. Depending on the size of group, there will be one or two vehicles supporting you
- Mechanical support - we aren't qualified mechanics, however we can help with roadside minor adjustments and repairs (we carry tools, spares, pumps, bike stands, lube and cleaning materials). if we can't solve the problem at the roadside we will take your bike or broken component to where it can be repaired
- Spare parts - we carry a selection of common spares in the vehicle which are available to you at cost price. Note, we don't ordinarily have a complete spare cycle available (this is impractical due to the range of sizes and riding a bike that isn't fitted for you may cause problems or injury)
- Route information - route cards, GPX files for upload to your GPS navigation device / Garmin. GPS devices are not essential, but highly recommended as we try to keep off main roads and therefore the route isn't always the most direct
- A 'MizMal' End-to-Enders medal!
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED?
- Evening meals - Our stopovers all have reasonably priced restaurants and pubs nearby and most of the hotels have good dining. Breakfast and lunch IS included
- Optional trips / entry fees for any excursions you arrange independently
- Insurance - you need to organise your own bike and travel insurance as required
- Bike hire - we offer reasonably priced hire options if you prefer not to bring your own bike. More information on bike here is available here
- Gels, high energy bars, energy powder and shakes - bring your own as per what works best for you and your tummy!
Why not come along and join us for Mizen to Malin 2018? We would love to have you. The west of Ireland has a LOT going for it. If you're thinking of an adventure and you love cycling, this is the trip for you and we will personally do EVERYTHING to make it a successful and memorable experience.
It's worth take a few moments to watch the videos below of the Wild Atlantic Way and more specifically, some 'from the air' footage of a group of cyclists enjoying a peddle in the Burren.