Cycle Mizen Head to Malin Head in 12 Days
Approximately 87 km and 800 meters per day
Suitable for the 'Active' rider.
The west coast of Ireland is rich in awe-inspiring landscapes, fascinating characters and foot-tapping music. Cycling from the most southerly point to the most northerly will leave you with rich memories, new friends and a thirst for more! There is no better way to explore the wild beauty of the Wild Atlantic Way than from the saddle. The grandeur of the Cork and Kerry mountains. The warmth and joy of a night in a Galway pub. The lunar like landscape of the Burren. The packed mountain ranges dominating the horizon of the Connemara National Park. The giant Sea Loughs of the Inishowen Peninsula. Your end-to-end journey of 12 days has a breath-taking finish on the rocky promontory of Malin Head. If you prefer something with longer daily distance, then think about the seven-day version.
What is included in the tour
- Airport transfers at the start and finish
- Accommodation and breakfast in great hotels
- A delicious 3-course finishing meal
- Shannon Estuary ferry fare
- Luggage transfer
- Advice on places to stop for your morning coffee
- Water, Soft drinks, fruit, cakes and bars en route
- Hearty lunches in pubs or restaurants on cycling days
- Van and mechanical support
- GPX route files
- A 'MizMal' End-to-Enders medal!
What is NOT included in the tour
- Evening meals - Our stopovers all have reasonably priced restaurants and pubs nearby and most of the hotels have good dining. Breakfast and lunch IS included
- Optional trips / entry fees for any excursions you arrange independently
- Insurance - you need to organise your own bike and travel insurance as required
- Gels, high energy bars, energy powder and shakes - bring your own as per what works best for you and your tummy!
The 12 Day Tour consists of 12 full days of cycling. If you prefer a more strenuous challenge we also run a 7 Day tour. The first day is our transfer and arrival day. The total distance is 1,040 km averaging 87 km per day. The total elevation is 9,708 m averaging 809 m per day. The 12-Day Ireland End-to-End is a moderate tour. Some days do include moderate climbs and medium level distances. Depending on how regularly you cycle and what distances you are used to, you will most likely need to do some training. Don’t forget you have 12 days in a row without a rest day.
The tour is primarily on quiet roads with a small number of joining sections on busier roads. Some cycling in towns and cities is necessary, particularly at the start and end of the day.
Roads are generally well surfaced and suitable for of 25 mm or more. We recommend a good quality and well-fitted road or hybrid bike for the 12 Day tour. We may be able to provide hybrids bikes for hire should you not wish to bring your own. If bringing your bike in a box, we can remove it and return it to you at the end of the tour.
Day One - Arrival Day
Day Two – Mizen Head to Glengarriff 37 mi 2,086 ft
Day Three – Glengarriff to Killarney 44 mi 3,100 ft
Day Four – Killarney to Ballybunion 50 mi 1,500 ft
Day Five – Ballybunion to Spanish Point 49 mi 2,200 ft
Day Six – Spanish Point to Ballyvaughan 41 mi 2,500 ft
Day Seven – Ballyvaughan to Galway 46 mi 2,000 ft
Day Eight – Galway to Clifden 58 mi 1,900 ft
Day Nine – Clifden to Westport 52 mi 3,100 ft
Day Ten – Westport to Sligo 66 mi 2,700 ft
Day Eleven – Sligo to Donegal 53 mi 2,400 ft
Day Twelve – Donegal to Letterkenny 55 mi 3,700 ft
Day Thirteen – Letterkenny to Malin Head 58 mi 3,100 ft, then drive to the city of Belfast via the International Airport